Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Desserts are rarely served in India but they are looked forward to in Diwali(festival of lights)It is not unheard of for a family to produce more than 100 puddings in honor of the gods.
- 4 satsuma oranges or 4 clementines, peeled and segmented
- 2 pears, cored, peeled and quartered
- 400 g mixed fruit (dates, figs, prunes and cranberries)
- 140 g caster sugar
- 4 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- mint leaf, to serve
- creme fraiche, to serve
- put the fruits in a pan with enough cold water to just cover. Add the cloves, sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom pods. Bring to the boil and cook gently for 10 - 15 mins until soft.
- strain reserving the liquid, discard spices and set aside.
- Boil the syrup until thick and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve the fruit topped with the syrup and if desired creme fraiche and mint leaves.