1/3 Photos of Steelers Game Day Sausage
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe appeared in the January 29, 2006, Post-Gazette Food Section - "Pittsburgh Super Bowl Recipes" - and ran in the Seattle papers. What Pittsburgh Eats is Sausage - stacked with peppers, onions and sauce, on a great Mancini's Italian sausage bun. When the sauce starts to drip down your chin, the bun can work as a sponge so you don't lose a drop! The amounts of the sausage and spices can be adjusted to suit individual taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes
- fresh whole basil
- 1 -1 1/2 lb hot sausage (ring)
- provolone cheese (optional) or mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1In large skillet, saute sliced onions and peppers in olive oil until transparent.
- 2Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- 3Chop and blend in a blender, 2 cans of the plum tomatoes, one can at a time.
- 4Add whole basil to the sauce.
- 5Stir blended tomatoes into skillet of peppers and onions.
- 6Prepare sausage "ring" by poking holes in sausage with a fork.
- 7Boil sausage "ring" in a large pot of water for approximately 10 minutes.
- 8Drain and cut the sausage into 4-inch pieces.
- 9Brown the sausage pieces lightly in a frying pan, then add to the sauce.
- 10Cook on medium to low heat for about an hour until the sauce acquires a good taste.
- 11For a sweeter taste, you may add sugar to the sauce.
- 12You can also add provolone or mozzarella cheese - melted of course - to top off your sandwich on sausage rolls.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steelers Game Day Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.5
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 54.4 mg
- Sodium 691.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 14.6 g