Prep 2 mins
Cook 35 mins
a twist on the alton brown steel cut oats.
- 1 tablespoon Smart Balance Omega Plus
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 3 cups boiling water
- melt butter in pan and add 1 cup steel cut oats of your choice.
- toast for 2 minute.
- add the 3 cups boiling water. turn to simmer and stir to combine for 25 minute.
- add the 1 cup of 2% milk and let cook for 10 minute.
- remove from heat separate into 1/4 for a full serving and heat in microwave with a splash of milk brown sugar cinnamon some nuts or what ever you like.
Love to make oatmeal like this, though I use real butter and whole milk! If you like some chew to your oatmeal then definitely give this method a try. I make a big batch and then just reheat with a little extra milk whenever I want a serving for the week. My favorite is just some brown sugar, but I'll eat them with all sorts of fruits too, frozen blueberries are a favorite!
Wow! I had never made steel cut oats before! I used real butter and almond milk. Mine were still a bit runny after the 35 minutes, but the next morning after sitting in the refrigerator over night they were great! I topped with cinnamon, agave and almond butter! What a great breakfast! And I get to eat them for days!
Yummy! I was pleasantly surprised at how good this tasted. I added ~1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 2 heaping tablespoons brown sugar, and a dash of sea salt when I added the 1 C. milk (Vanilla Rice milk). I then cooked for ~15 minutes.