Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Found on facebook; modified from erinsfoodfiles.com (http://www.erinsfoodfiles.com/2011/12/steel-cut-oatmeal-with-maple-sauteed-apples.html).
Top Review by Debbwl
There is no better way to start a fall day than with the wonderful flavors of fall. I did not have any pecans so used a little toasted walnuts instead. All I can say is Yum and thanks to the tasty post.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter (salted, or unsalted)
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
MAPLE SAUTEED APPLES
- 2 tablespoons butter (salted, or unsalted)
- 3 large firm apples (about 1 1/2 pounds, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, PLUS
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans (OPTIONAL, rough chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the water and milk to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat until just beginning to foam; add the oats and toast, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until golden and fragrant with a butterscotch-like aroma, 1 1⁄2 to 2 minutes.
- Stir the toasted oats into the simmering liquid, reduce the heat to medium-low; simmer gently, until the mixture thickens and resembles gravy, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add the salt, stir to combine and continue simmering, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until the oats absorb almost all of the liquid and the oatmeal is thick and creamy, with a pudding-like consistency, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Off the heat, let the oatmeal stand uncovered for 5 minutes. Serve immediately with maple sautéed apples. Garnish with toasted pecans if desired.
- MAPLE SAUTÉED APPLES:.
- (Begin cooking apples when the oats have about 5 minutes cooking time remaining.).
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apples and 1 tablespoon maple syrup; sauté until the apples are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Mix in the remaining 1⁄2 cup maple syrup and cinnamon; simmer until slightly reduced, about 2 minute.
- Makes about four servings of oatmeal topped with sauteed apples, and garnished with toasted pecans if desired.