Recipe by Queen Puff
Everyone knows oatmeal is a real stick-to-your-gut kind of breakfast and this recipe kicks it up a notch using steel-cut oats. Saw Jamie Deen cooking steel-cut oats on his show and had to give it a try! Toasting the oats gives it a nice nutty smell. Some additions or variations could include vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, raisins, chopped apples, peaches, blueberries, etc.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 banana, ripe & sliced
- 2 cups strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the oats to toast, stirring approximately 3 minutes.
- Add water, milk, brown sugar & kosher salt.
- Turn up the heat, bring to a simmer & cover.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add banana.
- Cover again and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally until soft & creamy.
- Add berries just before serving.