Queen Puff's Note:
Everyone knows oatmeal is a real stick-to-your-gut kind of breakfast and this recipe kicks it up a notch using steel-cut oats. Saw Jamie Deen cooking steel-cut oats on his show and had to give it a try! Toasting the oats gives it a nice nutty smell. Some additions or variations could include vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, raisins, chopped apples, peaches, blueberries, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Stir in the oats to toast, stirring approximately 3 minutes.
- 3Add water, milk, brown sugar & kosher salt.
- 4Turn up the heat, bring to a simmer & cover.
- 5Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add banana.
- 7Cover again and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally until soft & creamy.
- 8Add berries just before serving.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steel-Cut Oatmeal With Bananas & Strawberries
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.0
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 13.7 mg
- Sodium 279.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 9.3 g