Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I'm trying to get the kids to eat more oatmeal and not call it "bowl of mush." This is the latest incarnation of oatmeal at our house. The dates dissolve in the oatmeal and makes it sweet enough without the addition of sweetener.
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal (steel cut)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 apple
- 6 dates (pitted deglet dates, if you are using a larger type of date, use less or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup milk (optional)
- Leave the skin on the apple, core and finely chop.
- Quarter length-wise and then finely mince date.
- Put all ingredients, except milk, into pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmering. Stir as needed to keep from sticking to bottom of pot. About 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add milk (if using), stir and serve.
- If using rice cooker, put all ingredients, except milk into cooker. Turn on and leave it to do it's magic. Add milk, if using, stir and serve.