Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Easy to make and so good . . . and good for you! You can adjust the calories by reducing the brown sugar.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice
- 1 ripe pears or 1 apple, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup pecans
- 1⁄4 cup craisins
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (optional)
- To small sauce pan melt the butter and add the oats.
- Stir for 2 minutes to toast.
- Carefully add the boiling water and reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in apple juice and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on fruit and stir into mixture together with the brown sugar, and craisins and sinmmer 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and top with nuts and addtional brown sugar.
YUM ! I made this for my post-workout breakfast this morning, and it was perfect. Popped it on the stove while I took my shower, and it was ready when I got out! Great flavors melded all together, I added a bit more pecans just because they're my favorite nut. Thanks for posting, I will be having this a couple times a week for breakfast. May even make some for the DH, as he is an every-morning oatmeal eater :) Thanks for posting GW ~ made for ZWT6 ~ GREAT BRITAIN Region and the Queens of Quisine!
this is very flavorful i would have never thought of toasting the oats. ive got 3 cans i got from amazon on sale and this helps out with a problem i had cooking it lol easy recipe zaar tour 6