Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made some steel cut oatmeal for breakfast and had some leftover so I decided to use it in a bread. I prepared it on the dough cycle and then formed it in a loaf pan and let it rise and baked it in my regular oven. The bread turned out light and moist. It reminds me of a light wheat bread with a slight texture to it.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup steel cut oats, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- In a bread machine put the ingredients in order as per your bread machine instructions.
- Set on "dough cycle".
- Depending on the weather and humidity, more or less water may be required.
- When bread machine is finished, form and place in well-greased 9x5 loaf pan.
- Let rise for approximately 30 minutes or double in bulk.
- Preheat oven at 325 for glass or 350 degrees.
- Bake bread for approximately 30 minutes.
This is an excellent bread. It turned out super soft and really yummy. I didn't have molasses so I substituted 3/4 cup brown sugar, and I ended up adding about 1/2 c more flour while my machine was kneading, but other than that the bread turned out really, really good.