1 hr 25 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
From Cooking Light September 2006
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash (about 1/2 small squash)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- cooking spray
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup grated fresh parmigiano-reggiano cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2SQUASH: Combine squash, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon sage, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and dash of pepper in a jelly-roll pan; toss well to coat.
- 3Bake for 20 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown, stirring every 7 minutes.
- 4Set aside; keep warm.
- 5RISOTTO: Bring 1 1/2 cups water and broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm.
- 6Heat a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
- 7Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until golden.
- 8Add oats; cook 3 minutes or until oats become fragrant and begin to brown, stirring constantly.
- 9Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
- 10Stir in 1 cup broth mixture; cook 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
- 11Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes).
- 12Remove risotto from heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese, 2 teaspoons sage, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 13Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 14Add mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt; sauté 3 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown.
- 15Stir in squash; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
- 16Spoon about 2/3 cup risotto into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 1/2 cup mushroom mixture, 2 teaspoons cheese, and coarsely ground pepper, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steel-Cut Oat Risotto With Butternut Squash and Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.6
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 9.7 mg
- Sodium 479.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 14.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth