Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A warm, healthy, filling breakfast.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses (if you're not used to blackstrap molasses, use less the first time)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a saucepan, combine oats, water, molasses and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in pineapple and cinnamon.
- If desired, you could add some raisins, currants or other dried fruit.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding additional water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Cook until water is absorbed and oats are cooked.
Yum. I loved the chewy texture of this hot cereal. I cooked mine for 20 minutes. This was my first time eating steel cut oats. DD left an eighth of a box at home when she left for college this fall. Since I liked it so well I'm putting steel cut oats on my list to buy at the store! You really need to watch this so it does not stick/burn to the bottom of the pan. I had to add about 1/2 cup more of water as it cooked. I'll make this again but will try another fruit instead of pineapple. Made for *My-3-Chefs Fall 2008* game for my Theme: *Low-Fat*