Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Lake Superior whitefish is the pride of the Great Lakes. This simple recipe comes from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. If you want to bump up the flavor a little, use lemon pepper in place of pepper. Cooking time is approximate.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 lbs white fish, cleaned and scaled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Butter upper part of fish steamer, arrange cleaned fish in it, season and place over boiling water.
- Cover and steam 15 minutes per pound or until flaky.
- Remove skin before serving.