Recipe by cakeinmyface
Steamed white seitan from Viva vegan Terry Hope Romero. To be used in place of chicken or pork style dishes. I absolutely love this, feeling a bit saucy? Marinate in Reggae reggae sauce before cooking. I cheat at this recipe and use my kenwood chef dough hooks to knead for me
Top Review by Ameshutch
Viva Vegan is my favorite cookbook. And this seitan recipe is my favorite, by far. If you like this recipe, do yourself a favor and buy the book. Every recipe is delicious and full of flavor - which is rare for a vegan cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken flavoured broth)
- 4 garlic cloves (grated)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄4 cup chickpea flour
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a jug whisk together broth, garlic, olive oil. In a large bowl combine wheta gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, thyme, paprika, cumin, and salt. Form a well in centre of dry ingredients and stir well with rubber spatula until dough leaves side of the bowl.
- Knead for 2-3 mins to develop gluten. I cheat at this stage and use the Kenwood chef to do the kneading on power 1 or 2.
- Leave dough to rest for 10 min, knead again for 30 seconds.
- Place dough on cutting board and cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Tear off 4 X12 inch pieces of foil and place piece of dough in centre of foil, fold the short sides of the foil over the loaf, the fold over the ends the foil should be secure but loose allowing for it to expand. Place in steamer basket and steam for 30 minutes Allow the dough to cool to the touch before chilling in fridge or overnight.
- Store seitan in the fridge tightly sealed in a plastic bag for up to 2 weeks or freeze, defrost before use.