Steamed white seitan from Viva vegan Terry Hope Romero. To be used in place of chicken or pork style dishes. I absolutely love this, feeling a bit saucy? Marinate in Reggae reggae sauce before cooking. I cheat at this recipe and use my kenwood chef dough hooks to knead for me
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a jug whisk together broth, garlic, olive oil. In a large bowl combine wheta gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, thyme, paprika, cumin, and salt. Form a well in centre of dry ingredients and stir well with rubber spatula until dough leaves side of the bowl.
- 2Knead for 2-3 mins to develop gluten. I cheat at this stage and use the Kenwood chef to do the kneading on power 1 or 2.
- 3Leave dough to rest for 10 min, knead again for 30 seconds.
- 4Place dough on cutting board and cut into 4 equal pieces.
- 5Tear off 4 X12 inch pieces of foil and place piece of dough in centre of foil, fold the short sides of the foil over the loaf, the fold over the ends the foil should be secure but loose allowing for it to expand. Place in steamer basket and steam for 30 minutes Allow the dough to cool to the touch before chilling in fridge or overnight.
- 6Store seitan in the fridge tightly sealed in a plastic bag for up to 2 weeks or freeze, defrost before use.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steamed White Seitan (Fake Chicken or Pork)
Serving Size: 1 (29 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.5
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 592.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten