Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Steamed white seitan from Viva vegan Terry Hope Romero. To be used in place of chicken or pork style dishes. I absolutely love this, feeling a bit saucy? Marinate in Reggae reggae sauce before cooking. I cheat at this recipe and use my kenwood chef dough hooks to knead for me
- In a jug whisk together broth, garlic, olive oil. In a large bowl combine wheta gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, thyme, paprika, cumin, and salt. Form a well in centre of dry ingredients and stir well with rubber spatula until dough leaves side of the bowl.
- Knead for 2-3 mins to develop gluten. I cheat at this stage and use the Kenwood chef to do the kneading on power 1 or 2.
- Leave dough to rest for 10 min, knead again for 30 seconds.
- Place dough on cutting board and cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Tear off 4 X12 inch pieces of foil and place piece of dough in centre of foil, fold the short sides of the foil over the loaf, the fold over the ends the foil should be secure but loose allowing for it to expand. Place in steamer basket and steam for 30 minutes Allow the dough to cool to the touch before chilling in fridge or overnight.
- Store seitan in the fridge tightly sealed in a plastic bag for up to 2 weeks or freeze, defrost before use.
Viva Vegan is my favorite cookbook. And this seitan recipe is my favorite, by far. If you like this recipe, do yourself a favor and buy the book. Every recipe is delicious and full of flavor - which is rare for a vegan cookbook.
This is FANTASTIC. The texture is perfect - not mushy, gummy, or too springy, but the perfect chicken/pork texture. The seasoning is spot-on (and I used water instead of veggie broth). My only gripe is that it took WAY longer than thirty minutes to steam.... Mine took almost two hours. But once it was done, I was wowed. Will definitely make again and again.