Recipe by GIBride
I lived in Asia and learned the REAL way to steam rice. I had no idea how to make rice before and used the dreaded instant rice, argh! Never again! I would use pyrex pots for steaming if you have it as it cooks the most evenly.
- 2 cups rice
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove (thinly sliced in strips)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pyrex pot, pour in every ingredient except for the rice. Turn it on high until the water starts to boil. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Once the water is boiling add the rice, stir it well and cover it. Set the burner at low (or medium low if your stove requires a higher setting to steam) for 40 minutes.
- Leave the rice alone! Do not stir it. If you see that it is starting to burn a bit on the bottom, then turn the burner off.
- Remove the lid and with a fork, check the rice to see if it is dry and soft. Then it can be served. Rice burns very easily so you should check it frequently without stirring, when it is soft and dry, then it is ready.