Steamed Vegetables With Soba Noodles
- 1 bunch broccoli (if necessary, peel tough outer skin from stalks, cut into 2-inch spears)
- 2 large carrots (cut into diagonal slices about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 small head cauliflower (break into 1-inch florets)
- 8 ounces soba noodles, uncooked
Miso-Almond Sauce (see recipe of that title)
- 4 tablespoons light miso
- 5 tablespoons almond butter
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- Fill a medium-large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Place a vegetable steamer over 1 inch of water in another pot; bring this to a boil also.
- Arrange vegetables in steamer and cover. Cook over medium heat.
- About 3-4 minutes later, add the soba noodles to the boiling water in the first pot. Cover and turn heat to medium. The vegetables and the soba noodles should be done at about the same time (6-8 minutes after the noodles hit the water).
- Drain the noodles and add about 1/2 cup miso-almond sauce and mix.
- Serve vegetables on top of noodles and ladle additional sauce over the vegetables.
- Variations: Try using other vegetables, such as snow peas, zucchini, bok choy, green beans, asparagus, etc. Other sauces can also be used or simply top with tamari soy sauce and grated ginger.
- Source: Vegetarian Tastes of Toronto, p. 33.