Recipe by A Republican Hippie
Simple and delicious way to prepare turnips.
Top Review by Chef*Lee
Yumm!! I love turnips, especially with butter, you can't go wrong!! I learned a long time ago to peel turnips because their skin is very bitter. It is one of the vegetables where the skin really doesn't taste good (even though it is such a pretty color purple!!!) I steamed a few carrots along with my turnips for some color. Easy and delicious, thanks!!
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and chop turnips into 1/2" dice, (uniform pieces cook more evenly).
- Place into steamer with at least 1" water underneath.
- Put lid on steamer and steam for 20 minutes (or more) once water comes to a boil. Turnips are done when they pierce easily with a knife.
- Drain water and remove steamer from pan, keeping turnips in hot pan. You may need to heat the pan to remove any residual water from turnips.
- Add butter and salt to taste and mash coarsely. The more butter, the better --
- Serve hot.