Recipe by yellowDough
Over the years, I have discovered that the best way to enjoy river fishes is to have it steamed. It is easy and not fussy in preparation and it will be ready in 25 minutes.
- 1 tilapia fillets or 1 freshwater fish fillet
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced gingerroot
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped garlic
- 1 stalk spring onion, 1 inch each
- 2 tablespoons shaoshing Chinese wine
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 8 dried chilies
- 3 liters boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean the fish on the inside as well as outside. De-scaleS the fish.
- Make 3 long diagonal cuts on its body.
- Sprinkle salt evenly throughout on both its sides. Don't miss the top of its head and the cuts.
- Insert ginger slices into the cuts and inside its guts.
- Sprinkle some garlic and the spring onions onto aluminium foil then place fish over the garlic and into a steamer.
- Pour in cooking wine and the rest of the ingredients for sauce on and around the fish.
- Make sure water is already boiling. If so, steam for 20 minutes. Otherwise, 25-30 minutes.