Recipe by dale!
Yummy traditional pudd! Make it on a cold winters day and enjoy.
Top Review by Evie*
Delicious steamed pud recipe. I used raisins and a stainless pudding steamer that has been collecting dust for months. It was ready in an hour and a quarter, and tastes divine, the golden syrup gives it a lovely caramel flavour. Served it with French Vanilla ice cream and a little cream. Great Winter pud!
- 60 g butter
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup sultana (or chopped nuts)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Combine the flour with the baking powder and sift together so they are well combined, and then lightly fold in the dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Fold in fruit or nuts.
- Spoon the syrup into the base of a greased 4 cup pudding basin.
- Add the batter on top.
- On top of the pudding basin put 2 layers of foil, covering the top of the pudding.
- Grease the foil in contact with the pudding.
- You can tie string around the top of the basin to secure the foil and make a handle for lifting outof the hot water.
- Place the pudding basin in a large saucepan with enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the basin.
- To make this easy first put the pudding basin in a dry pot and then fill with boiling water from the kettle.
- Bring the water back to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Lift the pudding from the water, remove foil and unmould pudding onto a serving plate.
- Serve it sliced in wedges with ice-cream, cream or custard.