I wanted to bring sweet potatoes to work for lunch, but didn't want plain old potatoes cooked in the microwave. So I threw this together. Would be good hot or cold. The recipe should make a hearty lunch for two (or three?) -- or serve as a side dish. I used chickpeas but black or pinto beans would probably be just as good.
- Place sweet potato chunks on the stove in a steamer basket. Steam until tender but not overcooked, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Place broccoli and beans in steamer basket and steam until broccoli is tender but not overcooked, about 4 minutes.
- Combine potatoes, broccoli and beans in large bowl and stir gently to mix.
- Combine remaining ingredients and stir until blended. Add to bowl and toss until vegetables are evenly coated.
- Serve immediately if serving warm. Or chill and serve cold.
This recipe was just okay for our family, but it really wasn't great. The sauce on its own was good, but once it was mixed in, it gave the broccoli an odd acidic taste. I could also taste olive oil quite a bit. Other than that, none of the other flavors really shined. We got a hint of this and a hint of that, but it was more neutral than anything. I may or may not make this again, but if I do, I think I would definitely increase the mustard and honey, and I would probably skip the olive oil. Sorry for the neutral review, but it just didn't stand out as a great side. (Made for Bargain Basement game)