Recipe by blackswanst
This is my home-made version, added with black beans & dried scallops. I was surprised it turned out to be my guest’s favourite dish of the day. He practically finished the whole plate of Calamari by himself & asked where he can find this dish. My answer was, “You can’t find this version anywhere but only in Shirley’s Top-Dollar Restaurant”. LOL! I’d to make-do with a small tray of squids as I couldn’t find the large ones in the supermarket. Preferably, use the larger ones as the effect will be better & the outline from the criss-cut pattern will also be more prominent. This is an easy-to-do dish & it can go with either rice or porridge. Beware, it's spicy!!
- 1 large squid
- 1 teaspoon mashed black beans
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon brandy
- 2 teaspoons dried scallops
Directions See How It's Made
- 1) Clean & remove skin from squid. Cut squid into slices & criss-cross the underside. The pattern on the squid will show once it’s cooked.
- 2) Marinade squid with the ingredients for 30mins except cognac. Add only 1 tsp of scallop floss & keep the other tsp for topping.
- 3) Steam for about 10mins or till squid turns white. Do not overcook the squid or it will turn rubbery. Add XO & serve piping hot.