My research indicates that this recipe originated with Chef Ken Hom. It was pubished in his excellent (out of print) book Chinese Technique, which deserves republication. It is one of my favorite things, and I always make it when I can find bitter melons. They are not always easy to find. Try it, you will like it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup ground lean pork
- 4 peeled water chestnuts (or the generous equivalent in canned slices)
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions (white and light green part only)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shaoxing wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (potato, water chestnut, sweet rice starch starches may be substituted)
- 2 medium bitter melon (green in color and 3/4 to 1 pound in weight. For much larger, nearly ripe melons, it will be necessa)
For the sauce
- 2Finely mince the water chestnuts.
- 3Trim the ends off the bitter melons ans slice into 1 inch slices.
- 4Using a small paring knife, carefully cut out the pulp and seeds in the center of each slive, leaving onlu the melon wall.
- 5Rub the inside of each slice with coating of cornstarch.
- 7the slices:.
- 8Combine all of the stuffing ingredients in a large bowl.
- 9Mix them thoroughly using freshly washed hands.
- 10Rub more starch into the inner surfce of each slice of bitter melon, then stuff the cavity of each slive with a generous spoonful of stuffing, enough to completely fill the cavity.
- 11As the slices are stuffed, arrange them on a plate and set the plate in a steamer with water coming within an inch of the plate Cover and steam for 20 minutes.
- 12Arrange hte coked slices on a serving plats, reserving the juices on the plate for the sauce.
- 13the sauce:.
- 14In a separate wok or pan, heat 2 T.
- 15peanut oil, add the garlic and black beans, then stir fry for a minute or two, then add the Shaoxing wine, chicken stock and salt.
- 16Add the reserved juices from the steaming of the melon slices.
- 17Bring the mixture to a boil.
- 18Thicken with the dissolved cornstarch and flavor eith sesame oil.
- 19Pur sauce over bitter melon and serve with white rice.
Browse Our Top Melons Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steamed Stuffed Bitter Melon
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.2
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 1433.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground lean pork
fermented black beans