Recipe by Rhiannon and Matt
Soft, steamed Indian dumplings, loaded with iron-rich spinach. Variation: If you wish to have crisp spinach dumplings, deep fry the slices to a golden brown color. Prep time is an estimate. Source: syvumdotcom
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 4 tablespoons wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons gram flour (besan)
- 2 tablespoons semolina (rava)
- 2 teaspoons ginger, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 4 green chilies, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cream
- 2 tablespoons oil
- water, as required
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and knead into a soft dough using water.
- Divide the dough into portions and make a long, thin roll with each portion.
- Steam for about 20 minutes.
- Cool and cut into slices.
- Serve hot with a green chutney (Hari Chutney).