Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from http://wlteef.blogspot.com/
- 80 g wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 40 ml warm water
- 80 g lotus seeds, paste
- Mix warm water with yeast and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Sieve flour and baking powder together into a mixing bowl and stir in sugar till well mixed.
- Pour yeast solution into flour mixture and knead to form a smooth dough. Ensure that there are no holes in the dough.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces each and wrap with 20g filling. Form dough into sou pao shape.
- Let it prove in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Steam on high heat for 8 minutes.
- Use the back of a knife to impress a line on the steamed paus.
- Sprinkle some red colouring using toothbrush and a toothpick by dabbing the toothbrush with red coloring and using the toothpick to make zigzag movements on the toothbrush.