Recipe by tunasushi
Steamed colorful layers of rice batter....the colours are what makes this unique...use pandan essence if screwpine leaves arent available
- 410 g rice flour
- 190 g tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 liter coconut milk
- 400 ml water
- 500 g caster sugar
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1⁄2 liter water
- 2 screwpine leaves, knotted
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine (A) together and sieve mixture into a large bowl.
- Combine (B) into a pot and bring to a boil. Slowly add to sieved (A) mixture and stir well.
- Divide into 12 equal portions and colour each portion to your liking.
- Get ready a steamer and fill it to the maximum with water. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat.
- Line a 9inch square tin with cling film.
- Pour 1 portion of batter into the tin. Cover and steam over high heat for 5-6 minutes or till no longer sticky. Repeat the method, layering it layer by layer as you go on.
- After the last layer is steamed, steam the entire thing for 20 minutes Remove, let cool and pop out of the tin.
- Cut with a knife wrapped in clingfilm.
- PS: always check there is water in the steamer, especially when you are going to let it steam for the 20 minutes.
- This should be consumed the day it is made as refrigeration ruins its texture.