Recipe by CaliforniaJan
I love steamed puddings and have been wanting to try this one...If you don't have a steamed pudding mold, you can substitute a coffee can and use foil for the lid.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together the shortening, brown and granulated sugars, salt and spices. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in nuts. Sift flour with baking powder and soda, add alternately with pumpkin and sour cream, mix well. Turn batter into a well greased 2-quart mold and cover tightly with foil or lid.
- Steam as follows: Set a rack in a large, deep kettle, add water to come halfway up sides of mold (or can). Bring water to a gentle boil, cover the kettle, lower heat, and steam for 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Be careful to keep water at a very low boil.
- Let pudding rest for 5 minutes before unmolding on a warm serving plate. Serve hot with brandy sauce.
- Brandy Sauce: 1 egg; 1/3 cup melted butter; 1 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar; 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg; 2 Tablespoons brandy; 1 cup whipped heavy cream.
- Beat egg until frothy, then beat in melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, and brandy. Carefully fold whipped cream into egg and sugar mixture. Chill until serving time, stirring to blend just before serving.