Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Steaming gives this cake a moist texture.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- boiling water, for pan
- In a bowl, mix flour with cornmeal, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
- In another bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in pumpkin, rum, lemon peel, and vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture until well incorporated.
- Scrape batter into a buttered 8-9 cup bundt pan and set in a 12x17 inch baking pan.
- Place on bottom rack of a 350 oven.
- Carefully pour boiling water around bundt pan almost to the level of the pudding.
- Cover entire baking pan tightly with foil.
- Bake until pudding feels firm to the touch and a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Let cool 10 minutes, then invert over a plate to unmold.
- Serve warm with whipping cream or let cool completely and cover loosely until serving.
- Reheat in a 350 oven until warm, about 10 minutes.