Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Another recipe from Asia, posted for ZWT9.
Make and share this Steamed Pumpkin and Coconut Custard (Sangkaya Fak Tong) recipe from Food.com.
- Cut the top off the pumpkin and carefully scoop out the seeds and the stringy insides. then rinse well. Place the pumpkin upside down in a steamer and steam for about 15 minutes until partly cooked. Remove and turn upright to allow any steam to escape.
- In a small wok or pan, mix the egg with the sugar, coconut cream cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Gently warm this mixture over a low heat to a little above room temperature, then strain it.
- Pour into the pumpkin and steam gently for about 20 minutes until the custard is cooked; it should be softly set, with a light wobble if you nudge the pumpkin. If you find the custard needs a little more time, wipe dry the inside of the steamer lid before replacing it, so no water drips on to the custard as it steams.
- When it is done, lift off the entire steamer basket and place on a large plate. Leave the custard-filled pumpkin to cool completely before serving.
- When ready to serve, take a knife and cut a wedge of the pumpkin just as if it were a pie. The custard should be firm enough to stand on its own and not be runny.
- You can eat the whole pumpkin, the skin and flesh of the pumpkin and the creamy custard inside.
- You can refrigerate any leftovers for later.