Recipe by Montana Heart Song
Ground pork with grated and minced or finely chopped vegetables in the sauce. Serve over chow mein noodles, rice noodles or steamed rice. The pork is steamed in the oven.You may also steam shelled shrimp to add if you wish.
Top Review by Krsi Sue
I added water chestnuts and sliced hard boiled eggs in this as well. This was delicious. I remember this from when I was younger and remember thinking this was a very special meal. I had always tried to duplicate it, but never had any luck until now! Thanks Mama-san - - Krissy-chan....
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 2 tablespoons nakano rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons kikkomen soy sauce
- 1 cup chopped minced celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated carrot
- 6 finely chopped green onions, including the tops
- 4 teaspoons sysco chicken base or 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup mushroom stems and pieces (optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup minced green pepper (optional)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix ground pork with rice vinegar and soy sauce.
- In a 9x13 pan add ground pork. Add shrimp at the other end of pan if you wish. Cover with foil, tightly over the edges. Poke 3 steam vent holes. Cook at 375°F for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and turn the meat once during the process. This step can be done early or the evening before.
- Drain any juices from the meat or shrimp.
- Set aside or cool if made hours before.
- In 4 quart heavy saucepan, add the water, chicken base, and all the vegetables, except the frozen peas and green peppers.Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle the beaten eggs, gently stir with a whisk.
- Add frozen peas and green peppers if desired.
- Stir in cornstarch in the one cup cold water, stir until dissolved. Add more water if necessary. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture into the vegetable broth stirring constantly until glossy and slightly thick.
- If too thick, add 1/4 cup water at a time.
- Add dashes of white pepper and salt.
- Add the ground steamed pork and or shrimp to the broth. Turn heat down to low and stir gently until meat is heated.
- Note: You may add water chesnuts, bean sprouts, daikon, minced napa cabbage but the more vegetables you add, you will have to increase the amount of chicken base and water.
- Serve over hot rice, hot rice noodles, or chow mein noodles. For garnish, you may add sliced hard boiled eggs after the sauce is over the rice or noodles.
- Pass the soy sauce and rice vinegar for those wanting more taste.