Prep 40 mins
Cook 8 mins
I love dumplings/pot stickers and these are seriously good. From Canadian LCBO's Food and Drink Magazine. I am sure that these would work with chicken or turkey instead of pork. You can freeze these dumplings for an easy plan-ahead appetizer / snack / dinner. Serve with Spicy Lime Dipping Sauce.
- 500 g extra lean ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 40 wonton wrappers
- cabbage leaf, for steaming
- Mix together pork, green onions, cilantro, ginger, mushrooms, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, cornstarch and egg white in a large bowl until well combined.
- Working with 6 wrappers at a time, use fingertip to wet edges of each wrapper with water.
- Top each wrapper with 2 teaspoons pork mixture.
- Bring the 4 corners up towards the top of the filling, pleat the sides of the wrapper to form a cup, and press the wrapper snugly around the filling. The dumpling does not need to be fully enclosed at the top.
- Keep the dumplings covered with dampened tea towel while working.
- Place a bamboo steamer in a large pot and add enough water to come just below the base of the bottom steamer.
- Line each basket with a single layer of cabbage leaves to prevent the dumplings from sticking; important, do not omit or you will be eating of the steamer :).
- Place a single layer of dumplings on top of leaves.
- Cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until pork is cooked through; do not overcook.
- Serve warm with Recipe #397489 or other dip.
This turned out really delicious. I don't have a bamboo steamer anymore, so used the steamer rack in one of my stock pots. I still used the cabbage leaves. After making about 3 I got the hang of getting them to stay together. LOL. I did grab a photo, and will try to upload it once my camera comes back.....a neighbor borrowed it for a little while. Loved the combination of the ground pork, cilantro, and mushrooms. Great little treats!
Very gingery flavor! We enjoyed these with a pot sticker dipping sauce. Excellent tip about using the cabbage leaves- I wouldn't want the headache of cleaning up dough off a bamboo steamer. Thanks for sharing! Made for Rookie Tag.
Excellent dumplings! Love the flavors - just as tasty as the restaurant version though not exactly the same taste. It took me a few times to get the pleating correct, but you get better as you go. Will definitely make them again! Made for PRMR, December, 2012.