This came from a good friend who is not Asian but loves to cook all Asian styles. It's an easy recipe although it helps to be able to just buy the Chinese barbecue pork. I do make my own barbecue pork, using a couple of whole filets and "Char Siu" sauce. You can also add sauteed cabbage to the filling if you want to make larger amounts. This is a typical Dim Sum item, served between brunch and 2 pm. with tea. (Amount of water in the dough is corrected.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lard
- 2/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 lb sliced Chinese barbecue pork or 1/2 lb ground pork, sauteed and drained
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 scallions, minced (green onions)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1Sift the flour.
- 2Add sugar, baking powder and lard.
- 3pour in water and knead until smooth.
- 4Cover with a damp teatowel and rest for 30 minutes.
- 5Saute the onions and pork briefly in the oil.
- 6Add water and seasonings and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- 7Spread this filling onto a plate to cool.
- 8Roll the dough into a long sausage shape and cut into twelve equal pieces.
- 9Roll each into a ball and flatten into a circle with your fingers.
- 10Place a spoonful of filling in the center and bring the dough up around it.
- 11Pinch the dough firmly to join it.
- 12Put each bun on a separate piece of parchment or wax paper.
- 13At this point the pastries can be frozen (IQF) by placing them on a tray in the freezer.
- 14Otherwise, brush each with a little water and set them in a steam basket.
- 15Steam over rapidly boiling water for 10 minutes.
- 16When steaming, do not crowd the pastries.
- 17If necessary steam them in batches.
- 18They can be rewarmed (once) carefully in the microwave.
Browse Our Top Pork Loins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Loins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steamed Pork Buns
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 138.1
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 1.0 mg
- Sodium 327.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese barbecue pork