Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Extremely RICH!! You will be rolling your eyes to the back of your head at the wonderful taste and fragrance you will experience with this wonderful asian custard. I cannot get over how SIMPLE and delicious this dish is. From Donna Hay's "dining" cookbook. Something I do very often.
- Place milk, sugar, star anise and cinnamon in a saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Strain mixture and place in a bowl.
- Beat eggs lightly and whisk into milk mixture.
- Pour mixture into 6-8 CHINESE tea cups and place tea cups in a steamer.
- Place steamer over rapidly simmering water for 20 minutes or until custards are just set.
- NOTE: Try not to open the lid of the steamer before 18 minutes.
- Affects the texture of the custard.
- Steam would be lost once the lid is opened before they are ready.
I tried this 3 times and have never gotten it to work - it does not thicken - only creates a thin custard shell with a sweet, watery consistency. Is there something I am missing?