Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Ristra restaurant, Santa Fe, NM. From Bon Appetit, June 1998.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 14 ounces light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chipotle peppers, drained, chopped
- 2 1⁄4 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and saute until onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, stock, wine and garlic; boil over medium-high heat until reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in mint, cilantro and chilies.
- Add mussels; cover and cook until mussels open, about 5 minutes (discard any mussels that do not open).
- Transfer mussels and broth to large bowl and serve.