Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Yarrow Bay Grill in Kirkland, Washington.
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup packed fresh basil leaf
- 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed, coarsely chopped (about 1/3 cup) or 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves or 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice plus 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 lbs mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Bring coconut milk to boil in heavy large saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium; add curry paste and whisk until dissolved.
- Add next 6 ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Strain into bowl.
- Heat peanut oil in large deep skillet over high heat.
- Add mussels.
- Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add strained curry sauce.
- Cover and cook until mussels open, about 4 minutes (discard any mussels that do not open).
- Transfer to large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with tomatoes and cilantro and serve.