Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe from the Howe Sound Inn and Brewing Company located in Squamish, BC Canada. It was published in a newspaper years ago, and I held on to it. Good thing, as no longer live there but I can still enjoy the tastes from where I grew up.
- 2 cups amber ale
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, Finely Chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, Finely Chopped
- 2 lbs mussels, Scrubbed and De-bearded
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 small carrot, Julienned
- 1 small leek, Julienned
- 1 small zucchini (See Note Below)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, Chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest, Grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper, Freshly Ground
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring ale to a boil.
- Add shallots and garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- Add Mussels, cover and return to boil; boil for 2 minutes or until mussels open, tossing frequently.
- Add whipping cream and return to boil.
- Add carrot, leek, zucchini, parsley, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes.
- Makes 2 servings.
- Note: Remove zucchini skin by cutting wide strips, about ¼ inch thick, from zucchini; julienne the strips. Save remaining zucchini for other uses – in a vegetable sauté, or a soup.