Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from Savoring the Spice Coast of India: Fresh Flavors from Kerala by Maya Kaimal, and found at splendidtable.com.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 lbs fresh mussels or 3 lbs clams, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 teaspoons coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven. Add the onions and fry over medium-high heat until the edges turn light brown. Next add the ginger and continue frying for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Put in the ground masala and stir for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the salt, coconut milk, and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Now put in the mussels, spooning some of the sauce over them. Cover and steam 7 minutes or until all the shells open. Remove from the heat. Discard any shells that aren't open.
- Sprinkle with the lemon juice and cilantro and stir gently. Spoon the mussels into individual bowls along with some of the sauce. Serve immediately.
This was excellent..I added in 2 tbsp. of tomato paste and a shallot, amazing..I ate the whole thing myself.
This is an excellent recipe. I had no cayenne, so I used ground pequin peppers. Yummy. Had with Chucumber (I used Chucumber (Indian Cucumber Salad)).
Brilliant ..... delicious .... need I say more ?? I added king prawns to the mix too and it's delightful. Should think it's nice with chicken as well. Although I substituted Cilantro for Corriander (if you like it)