Steamed Mussels in a Red Chile Broth
- Roast the garlic and tomatoes in a preheated oven at 300°F for 1 hour. Set aside.
- To make the broth, soak the chiles in the stock and water for about 1 hour until softened and limp, puree in a blender and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbs of the olive oil in a pan and saute the garlic and tomato until reheated.
- Add the mussels, stir in the broth, cover, and steam for about 5 to 7 minutes until the mussels have opened.
- Discard any that remain closed.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Stir in the cream, if using, and serve immediately with a sprinkling of ground paprika, accompanied by toasted sourdough bread.