Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This is another recipe out of my cookbook called "Chiles"...enjoy!
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 dried New Mexico chiles, seeded
- 1 1⁄4 cups fish stock
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 2⁄3 cup light cream (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ground paprika, to taste
- Roast the garlic and tomatoes in a preheated oven at 300°F for 1 hour. Set aside.
- To make the broth, soak the chiles in the stock and water for about 1 hour until softened and limp, puree in a blender and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbs of the olive oil in a pan and saute the garlic and tomato until reheated.
- Add the mussels, stir in the broth, cover, and steam for about 5 to 7 minutes until the mussels have opened.
- Discard any that remain closed.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Stir in the cream, if using, and serve immediately with a sprinkling of ground paprika, accompanied by toasted sourdough bread.