Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
this recipe is from south India , served with steamed rice
- 1⁄2 cup split chickpeas
- 1⁄4 cup pigeon peas
- 1⁄2 onion
- 4 red chili peppers
- 2 green chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- 1⁄4 cup tamarind juice
- onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Soak both the lentils together for 45 minutes,drain them and grind the dumpling ingredients into coarse mixture.
- Make balls and steam them in pressure cooker for 3-4 minutes until the texture is shiny on the outside.
- For gravy,heat some oil,and splutter mustard seeds,curry leaves.fry chopped onions until they are translucent.
- Now add tamarind juice(1/2 to 1 tbsp tamarind concentrate diluted with 1 cup of water),coriander powder,chili powder(you can vary the measurement according to ur spice level),turmeric,hing ,salt,brown sugar to taste.
- Allow them to boil.now add the balls ,grated coconut and boil them for five minutes until the balls are finely soaked in the gravy.
- Garnish them with cilantro leaves.
This could have been a winner, but, some of the ingredients are not listed, I used my expertise to cook the dish. I used 1 tsp mustard seeds, 10 curry leaves these were not listed. There was no liquid to boil the Dumplings in due to the fact that there is so much spice, so I added 1 cup water to make the sauce. This was still a hot spicey dish and not for those unused to Indian food. I thank Pavithra for posting recipe and look forward to trying your other dishes. Brian H