Recipe by busyozmum
This has been my husband's favourite dessert since he was a small child. Use the jam of your choice. We love plum jam and I tend to double the quantity of jam. The texture is similar to a warm cake. Delicious with ice-cream and/or cream.
Top Review by Chris Reynolds
I liked that this used kitchen staples so I didn't have to buy anything to make it. However, it seemed to be missing something as it was rather bland. Thanks for sharing though.
- 1⁄4 cup jam
- 125 g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a pudding steamer or basin (8 cup capacity).
- Spoon jam into the based of the steamer.
- Beat butter, essence and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, beat in eggs 1 at a time, beat until combined.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl, stir in sifted flour and milk in 2 batches.
- Spread mixture into steamer, cover with greased foil, secure with string or lid.
- Place steamer in large saucepan with enough boiling water to come half way up the side of steamer; boil, covered, about 1 1/2 hours or until firm. Replenish water as necessary.
- When cooked, run a knife around the edge and then invert carefully onto a large plate. The jam will spill over the entire pudding and look very pretty.
- Slice and serve with custard, cream or ice-cream.