Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has been my husband's favourite dessert since he was a small child. Use the jam of your choice. We love plum jam and I tend to double the quantity of jam. The texture is similar to a warm cake. Delicious with ice-cream and/or cream.
- 1⁄4 cup jam
- 125 g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Grease a pudding steamer or basin (8 cup capacity).
- Spoon jam into the based of the steamer.
- Beat butter, essence and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, beat in eggs 1 at a time, beat until combined.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl, stir in sifted flour and milk in 2 batches.
- Spread mixture into steamer, cover with greased foil, secure with string or lid.
- Place steamer in large saucepan with enough boiling water to come half way up the side of steamer; boil, covered, about 1 1/2 hours or until firm. Replenish water as necessary.
- When cooked, run a knife around the edge and then invert carefully onto a large plate. The jam will spill over the entire pudding and look very pretty.
- Slice and serve with custard, cream or ice-cream.
I liked that this used kitchen staples so I didn't have to buy anything to make it. However, it seemed to be missing something as it was rather bland. Thanks for sharing though.
*Wonderful Pudding* My family loved this no-fuss dessert. A great recipe for using pantry staples and very economical. The texture was similar to a warm heavy buttercake and we used strawberry jam. Served with custard. This recipe could easily be made ahead of time and reheated in the pudding basin or as individual serves in the microwave. Photo also to be posted
I think I overcooked it. :( I wish I had doubled the jam. I ended up cooking it in my steamer/rice cooker! Can you believe such a thing? The batter fit nicely but the jam was spread a bit thin. Unfortunately, it was the end of a jar. The flavor was ok but it was tough/overcooked. I will be trying this again & lots of other steamed pudding dishes. Maybe I'll get a proper pudding cooker, lol. Made for the 12/07 Aussie recipe swap.