Recipe by Bergy
Very simple recipie that is attractive and tasty. I say to steam the beans & celery for 10 minutes and add the peppers/onions for last 5 minutes - This leaves the vegetables still quite crisp. If you like your veggies well done double the time.
Top Review by Susie D
Delicious and a pretty presentation! What more could one want? The steam time was perfect & resulted in crisp yet tender veggies. Served with baked salmon. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
- 1 lb green beans, ends nipped and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cleaned, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped 1/2-inch pieces
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional) or 2 tablespoons margarine (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 3/4"of water in the bottom of a double boiler to a boil.
- Add the beans, celery & oregano to the top of the double boiler, cover & steam for 10 Minutes.
- Add onions & red pepper continue steaming for a further 5 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Toss with butter if using.