Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Make and share this Steamed Green Beans and Carrots With Charmoula Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb green beans, ends trimmed (French-styled beans preferred)
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, trimmed into sticks the same thickness as beans (I cut the carrots slightly shorter than the beans)
- 1 large garlic clove, slightly chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Add a few inches of water to a steamer (or large pot with a steamer insert) and bring to a boil. While water is heating, trim the ends of the green beans, and cut carrots into sticks about the same thickness as the beans. When water starts to boil and steam, add the carrots and steam for 3 minutes. Then add green beans and steam for 4-5 minutes more, or until all the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- While the vegetables are steaming, chop the garlic a few times and wash, dry, and coarsely chop the cilantro and parsley. Add garlic, cilantro, and parsley to food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse until the herbs and garlic are starting to look finely chopped. Then add the olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, and ground cumin and pulse until all ingredients are combined. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the vegetables are done, drain for a few minutes and then place them in a bowl and toss with about half the sauce. Arrange vegetables on a serving platter and spoon over the rest of the sauce. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper as desired, and serve hot or warm.
- Make-Ahead Tips for Thanksgiving: The sauce can be made one day ahead and stored in the refrigerator. Let it come to room temperature before using in the recipe.