Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
My family has wheat allergies and I had to come up with a gluten free carrot cake that I could make in the TX summer heat. My family loved this recipe and I even steam it in the winter. It can be steamed on the stove top or in a slow cooker/crockpot. It's moist and flavorful and it's great with cream cheese frosting.
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour or 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar or 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, finely shredded
- 1⁄3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup shredded coconut
- Grease and line a 8-inch cake pan or 1-1/2 quart casserole dish with parchment. Make sure it fits into your steamer or slow cooker.
- In a large bowl sift or whisk the first 7 dry ingredients until well combined. In a medium bowl mix the brown sugar and the next 7 wet ingredients until well combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan or dish and place in the steamer. Add hot water to your steamer to reach at least an inch and place double layer of paper towels to fit pan and cover with towels hanging out to help catch excess steam from dripping on cake. Bring water to a boil and lower heat to medium low steam on stove for 45-50 minutes check with a toothpick in the center. It should be dry.
- In a slow cooker add about 1 cup of water to the bottom of slow cooker. Place you pan or dish in the bottom. Place a double layer of paper towel to hang over the top. Place lid on cooker and cook on high for 50-60 minutes Check with a toothpick .