Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delightful, tasty way to prepare fish with such wonderful flavor.
Make and share this Steamed Fish recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs whole sea bass or 2 lbs sea bass fillets (use other bass, orange roughy, perch, sole, or halibut fillets)
- 2 -3 inches fresh ginger, cut into a thin julienne
- 5 scallions, cut into a thin julienne
- 8 1⁄2 sprigs cilantro
- 1 teaspoon light sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons chinese rice wine vinegar (unseasoned)
- This fish dish cooks on a plate that is set inside a chinese steamer, or use a metal steamer or a large frying pan with a lid.
- To do this, place an inverted pie pan or 3 custard cups in the frying pan before adding water.
- Clean and rinse fish; pat dry.
- Put the fish on a plate that will fit in your steamer or pan.
- If using a whole fish, put half the ginger-scallion julienne and cilantro into the fish cavity and put the rest on top.
- If using fillets, put half of the mixture on the bottom of the plate, cover with fillets in single layer and then top the fillets with the rest.
- Sprinkle with the soy sauce, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar.
- Allow to marinate at room temperature, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pour an inch or two of water into the bottom of a steamer.
- When water starts to boil, put in the plate of fish.
- Cover and steam over high heat until done, about 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Serve fish with the sauce that has accumulated in the plate.