Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Exceptionally delicious and healthy.
- 2 Japanese eggplants
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (good quality)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground dried red chili
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, chopped very finely
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted white sesame seeds
- Trim off the stem end of the eggplants. Cut them crosswise into pieces about 2 inches in length.
- Place the eggplant slices onto a steamer rack and steam over medium-high heat for 6-10 minutes, or until they are cooked to your liking.
- While the eggplants are steaming, make the sauce by combining soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, ground dried chillies, garlic, ginger and sugar.
- Stir well to blend flavors.
- Remove the eggplants from the steamer and slice each piece in half lengthwise and each half again into 2-3 long strips. Arrange the pieces in a single layer on a serving plate. Spoon the sesame-soy sauce evenly over the eggplant pieces, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. You can also garnish with green coriander/cilantro.