Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A healthy, hearty salad. Guests will love this unusual blend of Asian flavours.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled (aubergine)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced spring onion (scallions)
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1.5 cm (3/4 in) slices, then cut each slice into 1.5 cm (3/4 in) strips.
- Place eggplant in a colander and rinse well under cold running water. Drain and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Arrange eggplant in one layer on a heatproof plate that will fit inside a steamer basket.
- Place plate inside steamer and position over a deep saucepan or wok of boiling water and steam, covered, for 6 minutes or until eggplant is just tender when pierced with a knife.
- Carefully remove plate from steamer and allow eggplant to cool slightly.
- To serve, arrange eggplant on a platter and spoon over reserved dressing.
- Sprinkle with spring onions, roasted sesame and pepper.
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt on both sides and lay on a tray in one layer. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, To make the dressing, place all ingredients in a small heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until slightly reduced, then set aside.
WOW! This has turned out to be my favorite PAC recipe this go 'round. What fantastic flavors!!! I can't wait to try this out on my friends. Made for PAC.