I think by steaming duck it brings the fat content down a bit. This recipe uses steaming and roasting to cook the duck. Recipe source: The Steamer Cookbook
- Place duck in a deep-sided heatproof dish to collect juices as the duck will release a large amount of fat and moisture during the steaming process.
- Place vegetables (onions - ginger root) inside the duck.
- Place a small plate that fits into steamer (with a 1-inch clearance) for steam to circulate. Spray plate with Pam and place duck on plate in steamer (you may need to cut duck into quarters to fit).
- Place a lot of water into bottom of steamer, bring it to a boil and steam duck for about 1 1/2 hours or until it reaches 180-degrees F using a meat therometer. (While duck is steaming check water in steamer as you may need to add more water during the cooking process).
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees F.
- Remove duck from steamer.
- Heat soy suce and honey together and then brush over duck.
- Roast duck for 20-30 minutes or until skin is brown and crisp.
- Cut into serving pieces to serve.