Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
My mom always (and we expect it most definitely) makes a steamed date pudding over Christmas and for New Year's. I found this recipe and would love to borrow her steamed pudding mold and try this for Thanksgiving. This recipe needs a pudding steamer. I hope this pudding will become a family favorite like my mom's date pudding recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 3 tablespoons pecans, chopped
Orange Marmalade Sauce
- 1 3⁄4 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a small bowl with a whisk. Set aside.
- Beat the sugar, brown sugar, butter, vanilla and egg in a large bowl at medium speed of a mixer until well blended (about 2 minutes).
- Add flour mixture to the sugar mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in cranberries, raisins and pecans.
- Spoon batter into a 6-cup steamed-pudding mold coated with cooking spray. Cover tightly with lid (also coated with cooking spray) and secure tightly. Place mold on a shallow rack in a stockpot; add enough hot water to come halfway up sides of mold. Cover and steam over medium-low heat for 2 1/2 hours or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the pudding comes out almost clean, adding additional water as needed.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Invert mold onto a platter and slice pudding. Serve pudding warm with Orange Marmalade Sauce (recipe below).
- Sauce Recipe: Combine low-fat milk, sugar, cornstarch and egg in the top of a double boiler; stir well with a whisk.
- Cook over simmering water until thick (about 6 minutes); stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in marmalade, butter, orange rind and vanilla. Serve warm over the pudding.