Recipe by Ceezie
This traditional recipe, handed down by Amy-Louise Pfeffer’s mother, combines the sweetness of the sauce and the tartness of cranberry Recipe Source: Relish Mag
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light molasses (not blackstrap)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare pudding, butter a 6-cup soufflé dish. Set aside a large pot with a lid that will hold a water bath.
- 2. Place cranberries in a medium saucepan. Cover with water. Cover and cook over medium heat until cranberries begin to burst and water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Beat together egg, sugar and molasses. Combine baking soda and 1/3 cup hot water; stir well. Add to egg mixture. Combine salt and flour; add to egg mixture. Do not overmix. Stir in cranberries.
- 4. Pour batter into prepared soufflé dish. Cover with foil. Place dish in the large pot. Add several inches of water. Cover pot and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 70 to 90 minutes, until firm. Unmold onto a serving platter.
- 5. To prepare sauce, combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place warm sauce in a bowl or pitcher to pass with the pudding.