Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A healthier, crockpot version of brown bread, with dried cranberries. This is good for breakfast or dessert.
- 1⁄2 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- Coat the inside of a 13-oz coffee can with cooking spray.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and molasses; stir well. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Fold in dried cranberries and walnuts.
- Spoon mixture into coffee can. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray; secure with a rubber band.
- Place can in a crockpot; add enough hot water to crockpot to come halfway up sides of can.
- Cover with lid and cook on high-heat setting for 2 1/2-3 hours, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove can from crockpot.
- Let bread cool, covered, in can on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove bread from can and let cool completely on wire rack.
Wonderful! This has a fabulous lightly sweet flavor and a nice moist texture. The cranberries are perfect in it. Yogurt was in the ingredients and buttermilk in the directions so I use half of each. I also used white cornmeal. I was having a hard time finding a container to steam it in because I have a lower oval crockpot...finally I found an aluminum smaller loaf pan and it worked great! The molasses got me thinking is there a gingerbread version of boston brown bread? Thanks for another great recipe Mikekey. Freddy Cat says hi! Made for kittencalskitchen.com tag game.