Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Whether you are arriving home late from work or jetting out to pick the kids up from hockey practice, preparing weeknight meals is often a race against the clock. Cooking quick and easy meals doesn't have to mean compromising on taste or variety. The key to surviving the dinner hour on busy weeknights is stocking your pantry with a few simple ingredients and frozen entrées that will excite your palate. For a five ingredient meal that can be prepped, baked and on the table in 20 minutes consider the recipe for steamed cod with gingered tomatoes below. Offering an array of Asian-inspired flavours, this dish looks and tastes complex but takes just five minutes to prep before it's in the oven.
- pam original cooking spray
- 175 g cod fish fillets, boneless
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup vh sweet and sour sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro or 1⁄4 cup basil, coarsely chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375ËšF (190ËšF); spray 4 large sheets of foil with cooking spray (foil should be large enough to hold 1 piece of fish).
- On the middle of each piece of foil place 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomatoes, 1 tsp (5 mL) ginger, 1 piece of fish and cover with 1/4 cup (60 mL) of sweet & sour sauce. Sprinkle each fillet with 1 tbsp (15 mL) cilantro.
- Close up foil packages and cook in oven on lowest rack until fish is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Have to be out the door in less than 10 minutes? Forgo the bowl of cereal and reach for one of VH Steamers' Kung Pao Chicken frozen entrees instead. Jam-packed with crisp vegetables and Asian-inspired flavours, this dish can be prepped in less than five minutes and delivers all the flavour of a home-cooked meal.
- Additional recipe ideas are available online at www.vhsauces.ca.